Chapter Three: The Day After.

The storm had lasted for a while. The sounds they heard from outside were hard to define. Gunfire, explosions, shouts… hoofbeats. Those inside had passed the time in prayer, singing songs… But the doors remained untouched, locked tight.
The storm had passed and all outside had been quiet for hours. So quiet that the sound of a click in the doors sounded like a cannon going off. Everyone jumped. Those closest to the door went over and checked it. "It's unlocked!"
At that moment, the sun came back. The sky had been dark for so long that everyone had forgotten it was the middle of the day; but all at once the darkness had passed.
Every eye swiveled to the Elders, who promptly walked over and pushed the doors open. If they were nervous in any way, it didn't show. When they didn't come running right back in, others began to follow. There was a numb, stunned few minutes as everyone came out into the light.
What Alec would later remember was the birds. They were the only sound. The birds were calling to each other, and much louder than normal. But there was nothing else. No engines, no distant traffic, no distant loudspeakers... Since the whole thing began, there had been the distant sound of loudspeakers. Checkpoints, soldiers, announcements... Every other street there was someone checking papers or performing spot-checks on vehicles or pedestrians.
But now there was nothing. Not one sound of civilization. Even the air was still. No wind, no weather. It was like the whole universe was holding its breath.
"I was expecting carnage." Roland said quietly. "I mean... It was four hours ago there was a mob of people on our doorstep..." His voice was thin, half relief, half wonder. "I was expecting piles of bodies, and... Where is everyone?"
"I don't know." Alec admitted. "Maybe... Could they be in hiding? Could it not have happened, yet?"
"I'd hate to think we mistook yesterday for anything else." Roland almost laughed. "But if I had to guess... I mean, if God didn't want there to be smoky carnage all over the place, then there wouldn't be. When he defended his people in bible times, he didn't clean up after himself, but those were times of war and occupation. That was Jehovah sending a message. There's nobody left to get that message this time."
"That's true..." Alec sagged a little. "Oh Lord, that's really true, isn't it? There's nobody else left; in the world, nobody left but us and our people."
The whole congregation was outside, looking around. "What do we do now?" Someone asked.
"Hey." Roland said. "You hear that?"
Alec listened. "What? I don't hear anything."
"Exactly." Roland said, and his tone was nearly awed.
Alec listened. He was a city kid, and had never been entirely out of range of traffic, construction sites, people… He wasn't hearing a single thing now. Not even the wind. For the first time in the history of civilization, there was nothing but silence. Nowhere in the world was there a war being fought. Not so much as a fistfight. Nowhere in the world was a factory working, a car moving, an aircraft in flight. No new construction, no demolitions, no arguments being waged over anything at all.
Peace.
Then, a single sound.
It was hard to hear at first, like someone in the distance was humming. But then there was more of it, coming from the other direction. Just a whisper of sound, but coming from a hundred different directions. And then it got louder and clearer. It was music. Somewhere between a chorus of vocals, and a trumpet blast. And it was the sweetest, purest tone that any of them had ever heard.
It was a note, that held longer than any human voice could hold it. The sound seemed to solidify, and everyone looked up. In a scene straight out of the bible, a chorus of angels were singing. It was hard to tell exactly where they were. Alec lay back on the ground to gaze up at them. Something made him feel like he could reach out and touch them, but at the same time they were so high above him that it felt like the whole world could see them. But he could see them so clearly.


All you peoples, clap your hands.
Shout in triumph to God with joyful cries.
For Jehovah the Most High is awe-inspiring;
He is the great King over all the earth.


Their faces were shining, not just with luminescence, but with pure joy. The angels themselves were showing tears of happiness. Alec marveled at that almost as much as their superhuman voices. He'd never heard of an angel crying before.


God has ascended amid joyful shouting;
Jehovah, amid the sound of the horn.
Sing praises to God, sing praises.
Sing praises to our King, sing praises.
For God is King of all the earth;
Sing praises, and show insight!


The song continued, and Alec suddenly realized how pathetic their attempts to understand had been. Their scriptures had changed their lives, turned the world on its head and their author had ripped apart the laws of reality to make his wondrous promises come true. And yet, hearing them sung by the voices of heaven, Alec suddenly realized how pointless it was, trying to translate ancient words into modern ones. Even the original words, that said exactly what they had been trying to say, couldn't compare to a moment of feeling expressed by these singers. These were the heavenly chorus that sang before God day and night for eternity. The words written in the scrolls of old were nothing compared to them. Six thousand years of reasoning on inspired words were just the grasping of children; compared to this.


God has become King over the nations.
God sits on his holy throne.
The leaders of the peoples have gathered together
With the people of the God of Abraham.
For the rulers of the earth belong to God.
He is highly exalted!


The chorus went for hours. Alec saw the sun rising and suddenly realized he wasn't tired. The Chorus had been going for a full day and night, and he hadn't slept, hadn't eaten, and he wasn't the least bit tired. He was as rested and alert as he had ever been. More so, in fact, than he could ever remember being.
He looked around and saw everyone else was in more or less the same state he was. But finally, the chorus faded, leaving everyone shattered, elated, awed... and totally convinced that this was indeed really happening. It wasn't an elaborate dream, for nobody could possibly dream anything so wondrous.
Then there was a shout from the road. Alec went to look, and most of the congregation did the same.
The main road was empty. No vehicles, no people. Not even bodies. But up and down the middle of the main road, was a table. It was a hundred feet long, with a pristine white tablecloth, and two stone benches, one on either side...
And the table was laden with food. A full feast. Dozens of platters, dozens of plates. Enough for everyone in the congregation to go back for seconds and thirds.
Every kind of delicious food that a person could imagine was laid out on the table. It was more than a little intimidating. Alec had made a habit of eating food immediately, rather than risk holding onto it. People had been willing to kill for canned goods a few days before.
And now there were crisp, fresh fruits, in every combination of flavor and preparation. The bread was still steaming, the butter cold and smooth. The strawberries were so rich and bright red that it made Alec's eyes hurt.  There was every kind of fruit juice, all in jugs made of amazing crystal glass that seemed stronger than steel, but lighter than air.
It was more than quality, it was variety. A dozen different meat dishes, prepared perfectly in a dozen different ways. The meals were from all across the spectrum of time and culture, things that would have been at home in a bible story, or a five star restaurant.
"Part of me was expecting Manna, but this?" Alec remarked to Roland. "This is more than I've seen in a month."
"It's more than just provisions, Alec. You heard the chorus. Heaven is celebrating too. Probably more than we are. They've been waiting for this since the world began. For all we've been through, we've only had to face one lifetime's worth of suffering. The angels had a whole different perspective. Thousands of years of defiance in the streets of heaven, until that battle was won. Now earth can say the same. Today is the first time since page two of the bible that there hasn't been a single voice defying or sneering at God." Roland gestured at the table. "You think Manna is going to do the job? God's throwing a party. I don't know what angels feast on or dance to when they celebrate something, but I'm betting we're all at the same party today. Dancing in the streets of heaven and earth all night."
Everyone sat, eyes wide. They were blatantly staring at the table full of food. Nobody shut their eyes when the Elders gave thanks for them. Alec barely heard the prayers, said a few of his own even as he started to eat; and then a few more after the first bite. The moment the fruit hit his tongue he knew the old world was gone. "It's..."
Roland said it with him "Miraculous." He agreed. "When it all started, the first thing that went was the economy. I was worried we'd never get to The Day given the food riots." He gestured at the table. "Maybe I'm remembering them wrong, but I haven't seen a fresh strawberry in months. Let alone a feast like this."
"I heard stories of people killing each other over dried pasta." Alec nodded. "But this... It's better than anything you'd ever find in a supermarket." He took another bite. "I feel like I've never tasted a strawberry before."
"No pesticides, no bad soil, no droughts or storms... We'll be eating like this again I'll bet."
Alec looked around the table. There were tears on every face. These people had been living off canned and dried goods for a long time. Every other day, the news had one talking head or another promising that the 'good times' would be back any minute, just as soon as the 'current crisis' was settled.
It was their first taste of Paradise.
"You think we'll have food appearing like this for a thousand years?" Alec asked as Roland served him another helping.
"Out of thin air, you mean? I doubt it. God provided Manna for his people in the wilderness, but when they got to the promised land, they planted their own crops."
"That's true." Alec nodded. "I'm... not much of a farmer."
"We're going to have to learn to do a lot of things we've never had to do before." Roland wasn't worried. "But that's the whole point, isn't it? No shortage of times when God's people had to make a clean break and a fresh start."
Alec took a roll and broke it open. Steam was still rising from the fresh loaf, and the butter he spread on it was so creamy that the knife glided through. "I remember that video about the early Christians fleeing Jerusalem."
"Friendship with God means losing friendship with the world." Roland nodded. "Though, I suppose, not anymore."
"Y'know, that never made sense to me. It just felt like the wrong word."
"What word?"
"Friendship." Alec explained. "It seems like a ridiculous thing to say, today of all days. But 'friendship' never seemed like the right word to describe a relationship with God. Friends can disagree with each other. Friends can be casual with each other. Friends can argue..." He shook his head. "I have no doubts about who's side I'm on. I have no doubt as to who should be running the world. I want to be loyal to Him and... I don't know, how does one be a 'pal' to someone who's bigger than the universe?"
"Every other 'friend' you've had has been fallible, imperfect, human..." Roland commented. "But, just a thought here, I don't quite know how this is going to work, but you know who you could ask?"
Alec shivered hard, feeling a thrill go through him, right to his toenails. "Huh. Y'know, I always wondered how the prophets in bible times could take it. Having God speak to them directly for years and years? Seriously, how do you go about your day with that going on?"
Roland laughed. "Try the juice."
For a long time, everyone ate. The cooked food stayed hot and steaming for hours, the fresh fruit stayed crisp and sweet. They all ate more than they could believe, pausing between servings to pray, to sing, sometimes to get up and dance.
The rest of the world was still unnaturally quiet, but it all seemed far away from the sheer joy of what was happening. The relief of people who had been beaten up, beaten down, exhausted, hunted, harried and now, suddenly, free. The possibility that this was really happening had long since faded as the noose had closed around them. But the possibility that something so purely wonderful could be equally real was harder, even for them.
"Part of me is still worried I'm going to wake up." Alec commented. "Have you noticed that the table never seems to run out of food? Everyone here has come back for a third serving at least, and yet there still seems to be plenty to go around."
"I remember a while ago, someone on stage gave a talk and mentioned that all the miracles of the bible were establishing credentials. We knew such miracles could happen, because they'd happened already." Roland gestured. "Your hand bothering you? You've been looking at it every few seconds."
Alec smirked and showed him. "That scar on the back of my thumb? I've had it for years. Got clumsy with a penknife in the scouts. It doesn't hurt, it faded enough that I didn't give it much thought... But it's still there. I was kind of expecting it to be gone."
Roland nodded. "Notice anything different about me?"
Alec looked. "Your glasses. You aren't wearing them."
Roland nodded, pulling them from his pocket. "I don't even remember taking them off. But... what can I say? I had to see all this with clear eyes." He ran a hand over his bald spot, and thinned grey hair. He didn't have to say anything else.
There was a lull in the conversation when the humming came back. Everyone looked up, expecting another chorus, but instead, there was now a single angel, and he stood at the head of the table. Those that were standing quickly gathered around and sat back down.
"This is what your Sovereign Lord Jehovah has said." The Angel intoned. "Thank you."
The two words set off a rumble around the table.
"Thank you for standing with each other. Thank you for standing with Me. When the time came for the sons of men to choose which path they would walk, you chose to walk with me. With every breath, the world told you that you were weak, and yet you turned to me for strength. The world told you to be cold, but you turned to me and showed warmth. The world was cruel, and yet you looked to me and showed kindness. The world was wicked, and yet you looked to me and displayed your righteousness, shining a light of my truth into the darkness, for all those who cared to look. Rejoice! For the whole world lay in the power of the wicked one, until now."
The assembled humans applauded, still staring blatantly at their supernatural host. Alec felt another thrill go through him when he realized this message was being delivered to others, all around the world.
"This is what your Sovereign Lord Jehovah has said." The Angel continued. "Billions of people professed their devotion to me, but never dared say my name. Billions of people, willing to war with each other in false devotion to me, and yet never showed mercy or love. Again I say to my witnesses; Thank You! Thank you for walking the straight and narrow path that I asked of you. Thank you for doing the right thing when it was hard, and the loyal thing when it seemed impossible. Thank you for trusting in Me when the world told you I was not real, or that I was cruel, or that I never cared about you. But you were not fooled. You stood with me, and defended my name, and my reputation to anyone who would listen. Thank you! Thank you that you stood up to speak the truth no matter how determined the liars were! Billions believed the lies of the enemy, but not you. No matter how subtle, or oppressive, you held fast to the hope that I offered you. Thank you for trusting in Me!"
Everyone applauded again, calling 'amen'.
"This is what your Sovereign Lord Jehovah has said." The Angel cried out. "Thank you for seeing Me for what I am. I gave the ministry, the Good News of My Kingdom to you, my witnesses. The rocks could have cried out my glory, but I gave it to men. And you were the only ones willing to preach The Word that I have given you. Thank you for being my friends! So many were deceived into thinking me the source of all your trials and traumas. So many cursed me day and night for what my enemy put upon you. So many others ignored my very existence until they wanted a wish granted, or my blessing for their unrighteous deeds. Thank you for not being swayed. Thank you for your patience, for this is the act of a friend! Thank you for declaring to the whole world that I Am Jehovah, and I Am your God."
Alec realized suddenly that the Angel was pausing for them to cheer, or applaud.
"This is what your Friend Jehovah has said." The Angel called warmly. "Through your endurance, and the comfort you received from my Scriptures, you had Hope. Servants of Jah, now look around at what I am providing, and realize that hope! Know that your father in heaven has Scriptures of his own, and they are constantly extending, growing with every act of loyalty and redemption that you have shown. Satan himself has been proven a liar by your testimony! When the enemy of your souls taunted me with your names, my beloved proved him a liar! And for that, and the love you showed my name, I give you my Thanks, for I am Your God, and You Are My Witnesses! Thank you for standing up to the evil power that controlled the nations! Thank you for being my friends! I am Jehovah, and my scrolls have been filled since the foundation of the world! Filled with the names and deeds of holy men that loved Me and loved My Name! Your Book has the stories of people who came before you, and were my friends. My Book have their stories, and yours side by side, and those that are still to come! It saddened me that my friends have gone to dust, but I kept them safe in my memory, waiting for this moment, when they too would get their promised reward!" The Angel began to fade away, vanishing from sight as he wrapped up his message. "Rejoice! For your father in heaven rejoices with you! For His dearest friends will be with you soon, and He is eager for you to meet them. They will be eager to meet you too. You have done your father proud, my friends. Again, I say Rejoice! Rejoice and be amazed at what Jehovah your God can do to show gratitude to you, my friends! For I have sanctified my name, and will do it again!"
The Angel had vanished completely, though his voice still echoed around them all, wrapping them up in the words. "Thank you for having faith in me; and for validating my faith in all of you."
Alec lifted a hand. Tears. Hot, constant tears rolling lightly over his face, yet again.
"Still wonder how we can call it a 'friendship'?" Roland said in his ear, also with tears on his face.
"No. In fact, I feel foolish for even wondering." Alec admitted.
"I hope someone was writing all that down." Roland said lightly.
Alec burst out laughing. Then he looked past Roland and froze.
Roland turned to look. People were coming. Children. Dozens of them. None of them over the age of about fifteen. Some of them were carrying babies. Alec craned his neck and saw more coming. Some of them had angels showing them the way.
(Author's Note: The hardest question in this story: What about the kids? Ones too young to make a decision for themselves? In times past, Judgements were not limited to adults, such as when Sodom and Gomorrah fell, or when the Plagues hit Egypt. The reasoning behind this is that parents are responsible for their children. But scripture also makes it clear that God does not punish children for the sins of their parents. Also, there is no clear answer on whether or not the victims of the plagues or direct punishments from God are exempt from the resurrection. It's entirely possible that all those people will come back; and a way that would not happen on The Last Day. The Reasoning book speaks to the matter of the children only once, and admits that there is no clear answer in the bible. But we have a Loving God, and a Just one. I took this route. The arrival of these kids won't impact the story in a huge way; but I had to make mention of them, one way or another. In JSY, I made the point that Resurrected ones get a normal lifetime to make their decision, for or against Jehovah. I decided that would extend to people who never had the chance to make an informed choice. There are billions of people on this planet, and no matter how hard we work at the ministry, there'll be some we just don't get to. Once again, this is just my opinion, for purposes of the book.)
"Who are they?" Alec asked quietly.
Roland stood up and waved the kids closer, nothing but sympathy on his face. "You kids must be hungry." He called over. "Come on. Help yourself."
The kids did so, eyes wide and hungry. Alec felt for them. It took the combined effort and saved stockpiles of the entire congregation to keep themselves from starving to death, and they had known it was coming. It had probably been days since these kids had eaten.
The adults let the kids munch for a while, giving each other significant looks. Someone was going to have to take them in.
Finally, one of the kids spoke. "So. You know what's happening, right?"
Roland let out a soft sigh and sat down. "Yup." He said kindly. "But it's a long story."
The kids didn't say anything. Most of them were focused on the food. Several were crying softly.
"Okay, so here it is…" Roland began the lesson. "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth…"
And that was when it hit Alec. Really hit him. Really started to sink in.
It was over. It was really over. After decades of worry, self-doubt, and uncertainty; he finally had his answer. After years of deliberate opposition and general disdain from the world; there was no longer any doubt. The Final War had been fought and won, and they had made it through to the other side.

It was finally over.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, this chapter leaves me hungry for more..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!!
    I really appreciate the effort you make to keep the accounts of future events as close to the Scriptures as you possibly can. Can't wait to read the rest!!!
    Thanks for all your hard work, and for the sneak peek. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait for the full book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He'd never heard of an angel crying before. Ugh, I'm reading this for a second time and I STILL can't stop crying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, first of all, tears. We just had our assembly, now, this week, the CO’s visit
    Your gift to me is this week will be more precious. What a blessed people we are. Thank you for these words, but, most of all, I’m thankful Jehovah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Need....... more......... story.

    ReplyDelete