Chapter Fourteen: A Good Day

What do you love?
The question stayed on Walter’s mind for a long time; because he couldn’t think of anything offhand. Nothing he’d find in this world, anyway. He loved spending time at his Bistro. The Club. He loved his job. He loved making things happen.
He’d never put it into words, but he loved the exercise of power. He hadn’t had a moment of ‘power’ since he’d come back from the dead. And he’d been so focused on getting it back, he’d never stopped to consider why.
He’d given that question some thought over the last day, and come to one conclusion: He wasn’t altering his plan. He’d gone into the Cryo Deal with no clear idea of what he’d find, and a very clear ledger of what he’d have available on the other side to rebuild with. When he came to, he’d had neither.
The realization made him feel better. If the world he knew had held on, he would have landed soft; with his whole fortune at his disposal. It had taken an act of God, literally, to keep his plans from playing out as he’d expected them to.
As to the question of how he would deal with God… He wasn’t concerned. There was business to be done under anyone’s rule. Democratic, Fascist, or Theocratic; there were still opportunities to excel. God should understand that, It had been the staple of many religions that God rewarded his people with prosperity.
Walter had heard enough lessons about humility and ‘daily bread’ to know that the world wasn’t overly concerned about such things. Walter had no desire to dominate or rule the world, only to excel in it. And if other people didn’t respect that, it would be far more their problem than his.
He’d spent the morning away from the others, walking the edge of the community he lived in. There were small orchards on community property; and he helped himself to a snack from one of them. He’d tried his luck building a new business in three different communities, wondering if the problem was local culture. It wasn’t. The culture was similar everywhere he went.
He understood how other people could be dazzled by the idea of Resurrection. He’d been one of the few people who’d planned a scientifically proven, genuine reality of an afterlife, but-
A low growl made him jump, and he spun back towards the tree he’d just plucked a fruit from. A large, lean form jumped down smoothly, and Walter let out a bark of shock. He’d apparently woken a full grown lioness from a nap in the treetops.
Walter had seen exotic animals three times since his Returning. At least, what he considered exotic. They simply didn’t travel that far unless someone transported them. That wasn’t a common event, given that most of the animals were considered ‘community property’, like the parks and orchards. But every country had its zoos or wildlife preserves, as well as a few privately owned or illegally smuggled animals. The passage of years had caused some animals to live out their lifespans, while others found each other and thrived.
But it was still a rare event for Walter, and it sent a thrill though him. He hadn’t seen a lion in person for years, let alone one close enough to reach out and pet. And then the lioness came over and rubbed the side of her face against his hip like a housecat, before turning and padding away.
Despite himself, Walter followed.
~oo00oo~
The Lioness pushed through a hedge maze, and by the time Walter had gone around it, he couldn’t see her.
What he could see was half an Ark’s worth of domesticated animals.
There were hundreds of them; at least. With a large house in the middle of the space, more like a multi-room gazebo than a regular house. And every space of it was filled with animal feeders.
The animals themselves were varied. There was a high proportion of dogs and cats, but some more exotic creatures like foxes and horses. Some sheep gathered over on the far side of the house; and some more wild species like Wolves and Hawks were lazing comfortably.
Howdy.” A voice called. “Looking for a friend?”
Walter turned. There was a woman there, with the same eternally young features. She had a lion cub in her arms, which was squirming around, trying to get loose. “How many lions are there?” Walter asked reflexively.
As of last month, eight.” She said. “A lioness had her litter. We’re actually trying to figure out where she’s gone.”
I saw her over there…” Walter gestured. “If there isn’t more than one adult lioness.”
This little tyke has a habit of running away and getting into scrapes. Earlier today, his mother… and I swear this is true… carried her cubs over to me and dropped them, literally, in my lap; and then stalked off. I’m a lioness’ babysitter now.”
Walter found himself laughing. Something that was very much out of character for him. “I read somewhere that cats domesticated themselves. I’m not sure that holds true in a world where you’ve got people that can tell you the origins of such things; but I have no trouble believing it.” He held out a hand. “Walter Emmerson.
She smiled broadly and stuck out her free hand. “Mickey McQueen.” She introduced herself. “You don’t remember me, do you?”
Walter felt his heart give a solid thud. “Um…”
S’okay. No reason you should.” Mickey told him. “You were a contributor to the animal shelter I worked at, back in the 80’s.” She ran a hand through her dark curls. “I barely recognize myself. I was quite a bit different then.”
Animal shelter…” Walter mused. “I remember that…” And Walter followed the woman as she returned the cub to the rest of his siblings. They were rolling around with a large rubber ball, full of the same energy that young animals always had. “The mother doesn’t mind you being this close?”
She just smiled at him.
Walter rolled his eyes. “I know, I know. That’s how it is here. What can I say, I’ve never been this close with a lion before. At the very least, these dogs should be barking.”
Mickey set the cub down gently and made her way towards the gazebo. Walter went with her. As they walked, Walter looked at the animals. They all seemed to be getting along, sharing food, or cuddling together, napping in the shade. McQueen seemed to know instinctively which one was a ‘good boy’ or a ‘clever girl’ and once she reached the Gazebo, she checked a few Devices. “Feeding schedules. Not all these guys eat the same foods, or at the same times. Best not to let anyone get lost in the mix.”
Walter nodded. “You run this place?”
Me and a half dozen others. Animal care is a full time job, even these days. I worked in a shelter back in OS, but back then you needed a lot of medications, cages… Trust me, this is better; until we can find a more permanent home for them.”
As I understand it, animals just come and go.”
Well, not exactly. They are free to come and go, but animals now have an instinctive need for each other, and for humans. We’re all part of the same team.” Mickey went to a nearby fridge and pulled out a drink bottle, tossing another to Walter. “It’s a good thing the animals knew that right from the start, too.”
Walter followed her back outside. “What do you mean?”
After A-Day, there were a lot of people who had to start over. Imagine being the only Believer in your family. The Day After, you’re the only one left.” She sat down on a bench, and her lap was immediately filled by a young doe, coming over and resting her head on Mickey’s knee. “The animals were all turned loose; and while they could mostly fend for themselves in a world where ‘lion will lay with the lamb’, a lot of them followed the people around.”
Assistance Animals.” Walter translated, sitting with her. “I’ve heard of it.”
People will accept affection from a pet that they just won’t from a human. I’m not sure if that’s a blessing or a failing, but these guys all knew where they were needed.” She stoked the Deer, and the creatures eyes closed contentedly. “To say nothing of some animals who had waited their whole lives for someone to be nice to them.” She gestured at the lioness, reunited with her cubs. “There was a time when that mother over there would have to fight tooth and claw to keep her young alive in a hungry world. There’s no such thing as an endangered species anymore, praise God.”
Walter still had half the orange he’d picked in his hand. A puppy had noticed, coming over and rearing up on hind legs to sniff at it. Without thinking, Walter reached down and hauled the puppy into his lap. “Except animals don’t live forever.” Walter pointed out. “Are some animals exempt from old age just because they are specially loved?”
That’s the point, Walter.” Mickey said as she reached over and gave a particularly vigorous scrub to the puppy’s ears. “Having pets isn’t an answer to our prayers. It’s an answer to theirs.”
What?” Walter barked out a laugh. “You’re not serious.”
Well, maybe prayer isn’t the word for it.” She conceded. “But do you have any idea the life that animals had back before A-Day?”
To be honest, it’s a question I didn’t much consider.”
Before I came here, I worked in an animal shelter.” McQueen said. “That was in 1973. Thirteen million cats and dogs went into shelters per year; in America alone. By the time it ended, a change in the laws got that number down to eight million a year. Three million had to be put down per year, because they kept coming in, and they had nowhere to go. Three quarters of all animals put down were perfectly healthy. And that’s not even counting animals that were penned in and slaughtered, pumped up with drugs to keep the meat sanitary, fed bad diets to make the meat thicker… And all that was legal. Consider the animals neglected and beaten by thoughtless owners. Or deliberately abused until they were savage enough for dogfights. Or the ones poached and gunned down for trophies, or for fun?”
Walter winced. “I… I went on safari once, with a few members of my club. Two of them knew a man who could take them hunting. They came back with a few trophies.”
But not you?”
No, I never thought of killing animals, even other predators, as a way to entertain myself. You want a trophy, you can buy one.” Walter shook his head. “But with all that, you focus on domesticated animals?”
Well, first of all, those are the ones that are in this area; save a few that are descended from zoo animals. Secondly, they’re all domesticated now.” McQueen told him. “Well, all tamed, anyway. The line between domestic and ‘harmonious’ is non-existent.” She lifted the pup from his lap. “A fella like this one? His view on Paradise is to be a good boy and have someone love him for however long he lives. If his litter had been born back in OS, he’d be a roll of the dice, between being given to a good home, being given to someone who would have beaten him when having a bad day, or being dumped on the side of the road somewhere. He never has to worry about starving to death or being beat up, any more than we do. None of them do.”
That’s the good ones.” Walter quipped. “What about the bad ones?”
Mickey didn’t even blink. “They’re all good ones, Walter.”
Walter was about to answer… When the lioness padded up to them again. She reared up on her hind legs, and promptly lay across McQueen’s shoulders from behind with a low, rumbling growl.
Walter felt his heart in his throat, even after this long; wondering if the lioness was about to go for a neck-bite. It was a fear that faded instantly, as the lioness started nuzzling Mickey, rubbing her nose across the back of her neck. By the time McQueen turned to look at the lion, she had already rolled over onto her back; paws the size of frypans waving playfully in the air.
She is so greedy for belly scratches, this one.” McQueen said with affection. She glanced over at Walter. “If you don’t mind my saying, my friends all told me it was a long shot, coming to you in ‘83. Charitable donations to animal shelters isn’t what you were famous for.”
Walter was silent for a while, staring down at the puppy gnawing on the orange in his lap. “When I was little, I found an abandoned litter of kittens in the woods behind my school. So young their eyes were still glued shut.”
Abandoned.” Mickey sighed sadly.
Not by their mother. I found them all in a shoebox.”
Mickey scowled hard enough that the deer in her lap recoiled and trotted away.
I took them to a shelter, of course… And if I’m honest, I knew, almost immediately that they didn’t have a chance; and I sort of... kept one.”
Mickey smiled broadly.
My family was slightly appalled, but I kept my grades up so they couldn’t begrudge me a pet. He had this white stripe that covered the end of his tail, so i named him ‘Tux’, after the white tailed tuxedos. I bottle-fed him long enough for him to grow up… It was nice, having him on my side.” He sighed. “Animals were something of a weakness at that age. Simpler times.”
At that age?” Mickey repeated sympathetically. “What changed?”
Walter looked around the reserve. “When I was seventeen, my uncle took me to a racetrack. My father told me that gambling was for consumers; and the only way to win at it was to be ‘the house’. My uncle didn’t agree, and placed bets all the time. I remember, there was this one horse… absolutely beautiful, but I could have run faster. His owner had just bet his last dime and lost; and was taking it out on the horse…” Walter shook his head at the memory. “I flew at him, took the crop out of his hand and broke it in half. My uncle told the authorities, and that man got kicked out of the business, cited for animal cruelty. The Horse was going to be sent to the glue factory, or wherever they discarded horses back then… So I asked my dad to buy him for me. Dad said no. Said I was too old to ask for a pony.”
Mickey was watching him carefully. Walter suddenly looked ten years younger, talking about these moments from his past. “So what happened?”
Walter licked his lips. “I forged his signature, went to the bank and cashed in one of my trust funds early. Bought the horse myself. I visited him every week; and he… I swear this is true, the animal knew my routine. He’d be waiting at the fence when I arrived.”
She smiled. “That’s a great story.”
That Horse started my career, in a way.” Walter nodded. “When my father found out what I’d done, he told me I was cut off. If I wanted to waste scratch, I could only waste my own. He sacked me from my job in his company; I took what was left of my trust fund, and started my own business. In ten years, I’d bought my father out. He retired with almost nothing.”
She said nothing, but it was clear the story had just lost some of its shine.
Walter nodded grimly. “I know. It was how my dad and I talked, in the old days.” He bit his lip. “You think he’ll forgive me?”
I’ve seen a lot of things be forgiven here.” McQueen told him, eyes flicking over Walter’s older features. “Is that what’s holding you back?”
No.” Walter admitted. “But it’s on my mind, today.” Walter took a blue envelope from his pocket, as a Labrador puppy flopped down in his lap. “I… I’ve never gotten one of these letters before.” Walter opened the envelope, petting the puppy absently. “It’s my father. He’s back in six hours.”
McQueen let out a low whistle. “Well now. That’s going to be an interesting reunion.” She looked at Walter sideways. “If you don’t mind my asking… What will you say to him, when he asks you what this place is?”
I’ll tell him everything.” Walter said quietly. “I’ll tell him the truth. All of the truth.”
Mickey could have asked the obvious follow-up, but she didn’t need to. The question was plain on Walter’s face: When I tell him God is running the world now, what will I say when he asks why I haven’t made my own dedication?
The Labrador in his lap was aware of the shifting mood, and decided Walter needed some attention, rearing up on his hind legs to nuzzle the man’s wrinkling face.
You’ve made a friend.” Mickey observed with a smile. “Take him with you. He’ll make good company for the reunion.”
No, thank you.” Walter said politely. “Horses aside, my last pet was when I was a much younger man. I’ve stopped with ‘temporary’ companions.”
Walter… look at yourself.” She told him gently, with open pity on her face. “I think there’s a real chance that the dog may outlive you.”
It was the first time anyone had addressed the matter with him out loud; and it was so unexpected and direct that Walter was left mute for a long moment. “Everyone... and I mean everyone in the world… has been giving me sideways looks, like I’m a little kid with some terminal illness. You’re the first person ever to give me the ultimatum.”
I work with animals.” She didn’t blink. “Almost all tof which are the fourth or fifth generation I’ve raised in their line. I plan to keep going forever; answering doggie prayers. Animals love their babies same as we do. Back in OS, we prayed that our kids would be safe and loved after we weren’t there anymore. Animals feel no shame at not living forever. Original Sin, and the Ransom alike never applied to anyone but man. Still these creatures know how to have a happy life together, full of love and play. To them, we are angels. We are ageless, super-brilliant creatures that have existed for generations, taking care of them and loving them unconditionally. If a dog can figure out what a good deal he has here, why should I pretend you’re just not paying attention?” Her face relaxed back into a smile. “Too bad. If memory serves, you cut quite a dashing figure in a suit.”
Walter rolled his eyes. “Don’t flirt with me, lady. I’m old enough to be your grandfather.”
No, you look that old.” Mickey shot back. “You’re a toddler next to me.”
The puppy yipped, as if to agree.
Walter pet the dog a little… before reaching out to scratch the lioness under the chin too.
Mickey smiled at him. “Listen… When you’re telling your dad all about this world, mention the bit with the horse. Then tell him that the Co-Op you started is still running, and providing me with feed and volunteers for the whole Reserve.”
Really?” Walter blinked, and found he was smiling. “Well. I’m glad to hear that it helped.”
You helped.” She said gently. “All the animals here? They wouldn’t have starved or anything; but… They wouldn’t have found this place. All the lives they touch? Who knows if they ever would have found each other. You made a difference to a lot of lives back in OS, even if they weren’t human. You made the same difference here. I’m sorry they didn’t pay back a loan, or whatever; but…”
Thank you.” He said softly. Walter came to his feet. “I have an appointment to keep.”
Hope it goes well.” She called after him.
Walter paused. “Um… If you like, I could come back. Help you out a bit? There are a lot of animals here.”
Mickey smiled broadly. “I’d like that.”
Walter nodded and headed off. The Labrador gave chase. Walter looked down and found the puppy at his ankle, keeping pace eagerly. With a sigh, Walter walked faster. The dog kept up, undaunted.
Okay. I guess I have a dog now. How long is that likely to last?
The answer came to him as he walked. For the rest of my life.
~oo00oo~
So, that’s the Stargazer.” James observed, and his voice was slightly awed. “I saw a few of those crossing the oceans while I was sailing… I’ve never seen one docked before.”
Karen smiled. “You’ll really enjoy the Tour then.”
Tour?”
You’re not the only one who predates air travel by centuries. Airships didn’t get that popular until after A-Day. So when they’re between flights, they often open the ship up to the public.”
James had seen a tower in each major community. They always stood out, since most of the world was townships now. But now that he was seeing an Airship Dock for the first time, he understood. The towers weren’t just buildings, they were docking ports.
Karen had led him into one such tower, and the elevator had gotten them higher than James had ever been, almost fast enough that he hadn’t been aware of it happening.
And they just open it up to the public. James almost felt sorry for the world. It was a good thing they had divine protection. They didn’t have a clue about protecting themselves from bad people. Bad people like me.
~oo00oo~
The Blue Letter told him to be at a park. It was a similar place to where Walter had been Returned; and Walter had learned that most people came back in quiet nature spots.
But the park wasn’t that quiet this time. There were dozens of people in the park, gathering around the park tables, setting up an event of some kind. Walter could see more people threading in. They all had red hair, which seemed like an outrageous detail, given how many of them there were.
Walter checked his Device clock for the fifth time. He was early. Despite himself, he was nervous. He hadn’t seen his father in decades.
And if he takes to this world… I shall have to make an account for myself. Walter thought darkly.
He lost himself in those thoughts for a moment, when a young man came running up to him. “Mama’s side, or Da?”
Walter jumped, startled. “I’m sorry?”
Were you on-” The man noticed the Blue Letter in Walter’s hand. “Oh! Sorry, I thought you were here for this.” He waved back at the growing crowd. “We’ll stay out of the way. We’re setting up, but the guests of honor won’t be here for another hour or two.”
If you don’t mind my asking, what’s the ‘event’ in question?”
Family reunion.” He explained, and stuck out a hand. “Connor.”
He shook it automatically. “Walter.”
Connor gestured back at the crowd. “We’ve got five generations of the family here for the first time. We found out that Great-Gram and Great-Grandpa are back, they were Returned together. We pulled members of the family from all over the world to have ourselves a family reunion, introduce everyone to the people we’ve only heard stories about. Mam and Da are very excited to meet their kin.”
Walter felt the nerves hit him all over again. “Yeah. I’m sure they must be. I have a reunion myself, coming in just a few minutes.”
I’ll get out of your way.” Connor promised. “Hey, Walter? Don’t stress. Family reunions can be nerve wracking, but they’re also the very best part of Paradise, getting loved ones back. This is a good day.” Connor’s eyes flicked to Walter’s aged face and white hair. It was clear he knew what that meant. “It can be a good day.”
Connor left him then, and Walter took a shuddering breath.
Should I pray? Walter asked. Funny. Last time I thought that, I was dying. I have no idea what to ask for, even if did.
Instead, he pulled out his Device and made a call.
Walter?” Came the surprised response. Hitch Thorne hadn’t spoken with him for quite a while; but everyone’s memory was razor sharp now, Walter included. “This is a surprise.”
I got tapped.” Walter reported. “My father arrives back from the dead in five minutes.” He shook his head, laughing ruefully. “I sure don’t sound like a skeptic.”
You believe. You just don’t agree.” Hitch blew past that. “Are you worried?”
Terrified.” Walter admitted. “My father and I have a difficult history, to say the least. Mom was the one that knew how to handle him. When she finally left him... I didn’t step up. I avoided him. His health wasn’t the best then, so it was easy to… well, leave him in the care of others. He was not grateful.”
Remember, your father will need to sort things out too. Baggage with each other is something we all have. But I’ve discovered that when you take people away from trying circumstances and give them something huge and wonderful and interesting to learn about, it helps. A lot of the old grudges starve, once they’re made irrelevant.”
I’ve found the same thing.” David said. “But I’ve also found that family is the exception. He hated the Retirement Home; and my buyout meant he had nowhere else. Tell you the truth, Hitch; it was my mortal fear, having that happen to me.” His watch beeped. “Two minute warning. Any advice?”
Be honest, and seek to make peace, more than getting the upper hand. Whatever your issues are, you could very easily have eternity to sort them out. Do you have anything with you? Study aids or something?”
I have a copy of the videos you use to welcome people back.” Walter offered. “Though I wasn’t shown one when I got here.”
Would it have made a difference?”
No.” Walter admitted. “But it’ll help with my father. I think he’d take the word of a video made and narrated by a total stranger over that of his son.”
Walter disconnected the call and turned to see he was no longer alone. His father had been an old man when he died, but so had Walter. His father had the same mature features of his age, but with a new kind of vitality to them. After so many years, Walter was now adept at telling the difference between someone who had lived a long time in this world, and who had lived a long time in the last one.
Hello, dad.” Walter said, proud that his voice hadn’t cracked. Most people were weeping at Reunions. Walter was just nervous.
Junior?” His father breathed. “Is that you?”
I look different, don’t I?” Walter admitted. “So, um… You have questions.”
Where am I?” His father asked.
Right. That would be a good place to start.” Walter agreed, and held out his Device. “Here. I’m no good at this sort of thing, but they’ve planned for that.”
Welcome, our dear brothers and sisters.” A voice came clearly from the device. You are privileged to be freed of the last, greatest enemy that mankind has ever had. In an expression of his love for us, God has returned the world to the way He had always intended it to be. A paradise. A utopia. A united family of man. For thousands of years, human rulers have made the same promise, and been unable, through inability or personal failings to live up to it. But now, as he always promised he would; Jehovah God has freed us from the clutches of suffering and death.”
The image on the screen was showing a quick series of animated shots, some of them appearing like an exquisite hand drawing, some of them just fading in and out of view. The narration continued with eager anticipation. These promises include many wondrous things, such as an end to hunger; an end to hatred, an end to violence. Chief among these promises, was the glorious hope that death itself would no longer trouble humanity. Jesus himself resurrected people who had died, and promised those watching that ‘the hour is coming when all those in memorial tombs would hear his voice and come out’.” The image on screen showed that moment, when Lazarus embraced his sister again for the first time. If you are watching this video, then you are one of those who have heard his voice.”
Oh wow…” His father breathed. “We’re really here! He was right! They were all right! I never really thought it was possible! But here it is!”
This was unexpected, and for Walter; ‘unexpected’ was not appreciated at all. “Wait. Who was right?”
His father smiled broadly at him. “The Witnesses.”

No comments:

Post a Comment