Chapter Eleven: Family Dinner

The view of the mid-construction Arcology was stunning. At their modular apartment, Hugh and Kasumi looked up as it climbed higher. "It grows faster than weeds." Kasumi commented. "Every time I look, I have to bend back further."
Hugh chuckled led the way inside. "There's a Party on the Promenade next week. The Tower officially opens when people start moving in; and the first Sector is nearly done. Construction Crews got to move in first, but the new Expo is opening, and they're making their bids for apartments."
"I've heard that the people making the move here are donating their land allotments." Kasumi said as they changed into sleepwear. "The Tower will only be the first. There are five more places where they're suggesting Towers like this one. One of them out near Karen's Sub-City."
"A tower that reaches from the ocean floor to the clouds." Hugh shook his head. "The world gets crazier every year."
"I know, but I love it." Kasumi chuckled as the two of them went to brush their teeth. Conversation stalled until they made it to their bedroom, Kasumi pulling the covers back and Hugh setting out his clothes for the next day. "Izzy's getting better. Having her here for a while was a smart move, with all the tourists making pilgrimages to Israel. After so long, she's never been here." Kasumi said quietly. "I doubt she'll stay forever, and she may take another four hundred years to trust her heart to anyone." She smothered a smile. "You were a tough enough act to follow."
Hugh blinked as he pulled back the covers on his side of the bed. "To follow? What do you mean?"
Kasumi slid down into bed. "Tell you another time."
"What about you?" Her husband asked. "We've been here a few months now. You still… unsure about being here?"
"You were right. I was scared." Kasumi admitted. "Can't figure it out. I spent centuries exploring the world. How could I, of all people, be stuck in my ways?"
"Because the world keeps moving." Hugh offered. "The world you explored doesn't exist anymore." He kissed her cheek and settled down beside her. "For a woman who started out as a kid who never left her hospital bed, a restless world can be…"
"I guess so. But after this long, I think I'm getting there. I feel… It's hard to put into words, but I think I'm starting to figure out how to live forever. Recent events have shown that you need both. To act with boldness when the occasion calls for it, and to plan with eternity in mind. And most importantly, how to tell the difference. That last one seems to be surprisingly difficult; all things considered." Kasumi murmured, just as there was a chime on her Screen in the next room. "Mm. Check that for me, would you, love? If it's Izzy, I don't want her to wait."
"When finished, the Arcology will be tall enough that sunset at the top will be a whole other timezone from ground level." Hugh countered, getting out of bed and heading into the next room. He came back with the Screen a moment later. "It's from Megan."
Kasumi took the device and read the message out. "Dear Mom. Found some things in storage. Wasn't sure if you still wanted them, but I knew I'd never be able to throw them out. Every time I do that, I accidentally toss some precious heirloom. I'll have them boxed and waiting for you when you come by for Family Dinner; and you can take them with you. I've added tinting to the glass in the living room. We never tried it before, because the tint film wears through; but the Foundation just made access to Preservation Tech available to the whole Region; so it can last forever. Tinted glass is easier to clean than curtains. Also, you should know: Biggs proposed. I said yes. Weather is here, wish you were beautiful. Love, Megan."
"WHAT?" Hugh blurted.
Kasumi smiled, handing the Screen back to him. "I know. Tinted glass in the living room? It's west-facing. How much privacy does she need?"
"You knew?" Hugh guessed.
"Megan hinted at something like that. They're keeping it a secret for a 'respectful interval' because of the kids, and because of what happened with Isobel. Nick and Rachel finally getting their act together is one thing. That's been beyond a joke for years. Even now, Isobel thinks they waited too long. But Megan as well, and so soon?"
"A little bit of 'salt in the wound'." Hugh commented, rereading the note.
"Megan agrees. I told her to break it to you subtly." Kasumi gestured at the box. "Tossing our stuff at us from a world away and putting it in a note like that? It's about as subtle as Megan gets when she's pleased with something."
"Yeah." Hugh laughed. "But it's proof that we did the right thing, moving here. We moved on, just as Megan's found her new beginning. The house should go to her. We built it with her in mind too."
~~/*\~~
Family Dinner was a yearly thing for the extended Alman family. With Alec and Beckah travelling with the Restoration Work, and the Tower still incomplete, the Alman house in the Mediterranean was the only place for it. Biggs had helped her with several such dinners, and they went well; so nobody was surprised to see him at work in the kitchens as they arrived this year.
Kit and Kasuf were also in attendance for the first time together. Biggs gave his sister a hug as they arrived. "I would have come to meet you at the Airport, but-"
"Nah, you were needed here with your family." Kit said, and the words were clearly something she was savoring. "I love saying that."
"You're going to be insufferable, aren't you?" Biggs sighed with a smile. "Go show Kasuf around. He's probably never been in a house like this before."
~~/*\~~
Kasumi was quickly showing Kasuf the house. "The Aquarium is mine. I had the house remodeled after my Tour on the Nemo, with the Restoration. Some of these fish are descended directly from the ones I caught. I learned a lot about ocean acidity from this wall."
"It's remarkable." Kasuf nodded. "I'm from a desert nation. An aquarium that takes up a whole wall has never really been part of my world." He looked back at the room that used to be Kasumi's office. "Does that tunnel really go to the ocean?"
As if to answer him, a dolphin poked his beak up through the surface, chattering happily at the sight of Kasumi. She smiled. "He remembers me. He's probably wondering where I've been the last few years. Dolphins are smarter than we thought."
"From what I hear, you were the one that figured out just how smart." Kasuf smiled at the friendly animal. "Is it hard, being away from the ocean?"
"Less far than you think. The Tower has room for an Aquatic Lab. With The Expo setting up there, I may yet be able to keep working in the field."
~~/*\~~
Over towards the large Olive Tree, Rachel was pouring the wine for Alec and Beckah, while they set out crackers. "I have special permission from our hostess to ruin our appetites by snacking on cheese and wine before Dinner is served."
Alec laughed. "Go on, Beckah; say it. It's tradition."
"About how expensive this little snack would have been in the old days? I think we're past that point. I've never had cheese aged so long." Beckah agreed. "I don't think anyone has."
Rachel handed a glass to Beckah. "Why'd you bring a fourth glass?"
"Well, Alec and I were talking, and it might be time to include Nick in these private wine-tastings."
"Nick understands. How many times did we observe this little ritual at The Expo?" Rachel countered. "But you might be right. Old traditions." She turned and waved Nick over. As he came over, she turned to her two oldest friends. "I wanna thank you both for giving me space after the breakup. It couldn't have been easy for you."
"Easier than you think. We never believed for a second you'd be apart for long." Beckah said blithely. "Some things are meant to be."
~~/*\~~
On the back porch of the house, Hugh couldn't stop smiling at his brother, who was walking around the Olive Trees with Rachel. Kasumi came up behind him and slid her arms around his waist. "I'm trying to think of a better way to put it than 'miraculous'." She commented to him. "Try not to stare."
"I thought you were helping?"
"Mothers and daughters cannot share a kitchen." Kasumi told him. "At least, not when Megan's hosting. That much has been made clear."
Hugh laughed. "She's been raising kids for three centuries now. How long until you stop trying to 'correct' her?"
"I know, I know." Kasumi sighed. "Go call your brother. Dinner's ready."
~~/*\~~
They all ate for a while. Even after so many centuries, communal meals were pretty common in Paradise, and the family had grown big enough to need a regular communal table outside. Some people found joy in cooking, and prepared for others; making their passion a service to the community. Megan had never been one of them, but Biggs had learned a few things in his travels.
"There's always work in Diners and Cafes. Waiters, Baristas, short orders. Wound up bouncing around Europe for a while. Back in OS, there was a good few centuries where you found work by walking in and shaking hands with the Manager. It was harder towards the end, but all those people coming back from the earlier times? They need apprentices to chop onions for them."
"He chops them well, too." Megan put in. "Try the Eggplant Lasagne. It'll melt in your mouth."
"It tastes like Tilly's recipe." Hugh put in to Kasumi. "I bet I know who at least one of his teachers was."
"It was." Biggs confirmed. "I remember straight after A-Day, we were still sorting ourselves out. There was one kid who didn't want to eat much, because he had food allergies. Took him weeks to figure out that he could eat anything he wanted."
Megan chuckled. "Some of the kids who come back at the Orphanage? It was harder for them to go vegetarian than accept God. The Meat Tanks may have saved lives."
Everyone chuckled.
"So, I know we don't toast anymore, but I have to say; I'm glad for all the faces at this table." Hugh declared. "Especially the new ones. Our family gets bigger, and that's a blessing." Everyone made sounds of agreement. "We started this 'family dinner' with just me and Kas." Hugh said to the room, but mostly the new faces. "For a lot of years, it was just her and me chatting about things, long before we admitted feelings for each other. Alec and Beckah were closer than most of our family members, but they had their own traditions. Then Nick came back, and was a regular guest, even before Kasumi and I married. When it was clear Nick was smitten with Rachel, pulling the whole group together was an obvious move."
"And it still took you centuries to get the hint." Beckah spoke up. "Rachel and Nick; I think I speak for everyone when I say that for two of the smartest people in the world, you're idiots. But let's embrace the fact that you got there at all."
There was laughter from the table.
Hugh chuckled along with them. "While we're on the subject, Biggs; we've been hearing good things about you on two continents now. As the man dating my only daughter, I have a responsibility to torment you for a while, but you're a welcome addition. And not just because of the amazing coffee."
Everyone made sounds of agreement, and Megan gave Biggs a smile that everyone recognized as love. Kit nudged her brother under the table, as though it was all thanks to her meddling.
"This family felt whole with Megan's arrival; and it took a lot of years; but the next generation is always something to celebrate." Hugh paused. "Which is an odd thing to say about two of the longest-lived people at the table; but that's how it feels."
Everyone laughed at that. Kasuf spoke up. "Hugh, Kasumi; you've been fine neighbors; and whatever comes with the next century, we're glad to be here. There's a tight weave that brings people together. Friends find common interests, neighbors find mutual friends… Whatever binds us all to each other, those connections are the best part of Paradise."
"This is true." Rachel put in. "My connection to Hugh and Kas went through Alec and Beckah, even before Nick and I became close. Kit and Kasuf were neighbors with them before they knew Biggs' name."
"That's only because our daughter was hiding him from us." Hugh quipped. "But I take your point. Something that became painfully clear at the Military Reunion: This is the first civilization of mankind where the families, with some exceptions, keep getting bigger instead of smaller." Hugh gave a nod to Kasuf. "As you said, people are all about connections. Thank you, Jehovah God; for the family we've built here, from all across the history of the world."
"Amen." Everyone agreed.
~~/*\~~
For a while, everyone was more involved with eating than speaking, when Nick suddenly spoke up. "Oh, news: We finally figured out the Resurrection Schedule."
"What?" Hugh blurted in delighted shock, along with everyone else at the table.
"Took centuries of calculation and correlation; but we are starting to figure out when people will come back. Who they are is still spotty, since nobody ever really figured out for sure how many people there have been through history. And we never know who will be sent to meet them, or what they might do when they arrive. But we can see an arrival schedule forming."
"Y'know, this morning I looked back at my notes from all the International Conventions I've attended." Kasumi commented. "I've found that the information always seems… tailored, for where the world is at. The Third Centennial was about how we reacted to the people we loved coming back. The next one was all about overcoming any lingering scars from the Old System. The most recent one we went to was about accepting our own eternal life."
"It's a question we'll all have to answer." Biggs agreed. "Even the kids we place into homes will have to deal with it eventually. Back in OS, they were telling us to hold onto our dreams of Paradise, but for all the things we wanted to do with Eternal Life, most of us worked our way through the list a lot sooner than we thought."
"It's a side effect of 'Perfection'." Nick agreed. "Someone in OS assumes it'll take a year to learn a language, or master an instrument. But then they get here, and their brains start working faster, perfection starts creeping in… A year is longer than most things take now."
"You cross off your whole Wish List, and suddenly all the Returnees have a moment where Eternity suddenly seems intimidating." Biggs nodded. "I got that part out of the way on Year One. Want to know how?"
"Please."
"Me and Meg, our most important job is to draw a clear line for the Returned Kids. Between what they knew, and what they're facing now. For me, that moment came almost immediately; given where I started. But something I learned early on, was that it all reflects leadership."
"All… what?"
"Everything." Kasumi put in. "I learned that lesson on the Nemo. If the Captain is relaxed and joking around, his staff will joke with him, and their own staff in turn. If the Captain is exacting and harsh, so are his people."
"God is in charge of this world, and He's never once been bored. He's never once been unloving. He's never once lost sight of what really matters." Biggs summed up. "And if we really reflect that leadership, we have to be the same way."
"Faith, hope, and love." Kasumi put in, voice low enough that everyone looked over, trying to hear her. "Isobel's wedding talk." She admitted to the room. "We've had our faith proven true already. We've seen our hope be justified. Love? That hasn't changed. If anything, it has become so much greater."
"It has." Hugh agreed.
Megan glanced around. "By the way, I was expecting to see Aunt Izzy. Aren't you two her caregivers at this point?"
"You make her sound so fragile. No, she had to go back to her Caravan for a bit… To say goodbye."
"She's staying with the Tower?"
"No, but her Caravan is breaking up."
Megan twitched. "Breaking up?"
"They stuck together at first because of how much they needed each other in OS." Kasumi explained. "Then they stayed together because the world was on the move, and there was work for a travelling crew. But the world changed, and the list of customers shrank… And finally they turned insular without anyone noticing. Vano was the first to pay the price for that; but it was a major shakeup in a small congregation group. The Elders stepped down, new ones came in from outside… This was the solution they came up with. The Caravan is disbanded for a while."
"Wow. That's the end of an era."
"Hopefully it will make a real difference, giving them all a taste for something very different to what they know." Hugh thought of Zann, and compared his stance to Isobel's Caravan; both groups excluding others. The comparison unsettled him for a moment.
"They'll find each other again." Biggs said with certainty. "This I know: Everyone gets a reunion eventually."
~~/*\~~
"Are you sure?" Megan was gobsmacked.
"I'm positive." Her mother said, and slid the travel case over to her daughter. "It's time. My mother gave me this set. And now I'm giving it to you."
Megan took the teaset with careful hands. "Some of my earliest memories of Paradise are of this. I was convinced that if I so much as touched it, you'd throw me outta the house."
Kasumi smiled. "That family heirloom predates A-Day by centuries. The Masters are making ceramics again; and Rachel's made sure the pot will never wear thin, even after another thousand years. It's time to pass it on." She pointed quickly. "One condition. Your future husband never tries to brew coffee in this pot."
"I'll guard it with my life." Megan promised.
~~/*\~~
Kit watched her future in-laws talk, smiling softly at them.
"What are you thinking?" Her brother asked her.
"We made it." Kit said softly. "Back when I first heard the word 'Jehovah' for the first time, I just wanted to go three days without getting high. Back then, keeping a job for two months was a miracle; and waking up without a hangover was the best start to the day…" She looked at him with a smile. "We made it, Bro."
"Real Life." Biggs nodded. "It amazes me how long it took, even seeing things get better all over the world; I still felt like I was observing people's lives. I was happy, but I was waiting for my life to get started; and I had no idea what it would be. I started working with Megan, and there it was. My Real Life."
Kit smiled a bit. "Don't knock those first four hundred years. Megan tells me your stories are the kids' favorite part of the day. You earned them all. Me, I've been looking for the 'sweet spot' where I feel like I was always meant to be. What that could entail has changed in so many ways since OS."
"For me too." Biggs chuckled. "I remember when I was crying with happiness over having a shower all to myself."
"I see people trying to sort out where they want to spend Eternal Life. You've gotten your wanderlust out of you after four centuries. Me? I'm still looking. So is Kasuf. But in the meantime, I've mastered a hundred and one skills that I never would have had before. I have a thousand and one friends that will live forever with me; and a wonderful husband. I've got an eternity to figure out if I ever want to stop; and I've got a world that's constantly remaking itself, so there's always something new to see."
Biggs smiled too, and closed his eyes a moment. Dear Jehovah God, I remember when I was baptized, I said that I wasn't sure what You saw when You looked at me. Seven hundred years later, I still wasn't sure. But I'm looking back at my life; and I'm seeing all the tiny brushes I've added. Helping a kid figure out a part of what it means to love you; or a little about how trees work. An answer here and there, helping carry a load when help is needed… taking a hit for a sister in a prison cell. I have nothing to write a Bible around, but I'm still part of the story. When this world started, I wouldn't have thought I was much; but I'm seeing it now; the way we all add something to the world.
To your world.
Amen.

***



If you're enjoying this book so far, you can help support the Author by ordering the book on Amazon, or spreading the word to others you feel might enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment