Chapter Six: The Secret Of Eternal Life

Atxi hadn’t stayed on the ship long, needing transport to a specific destination. James hadn’t minded. He was still getting to know his new craft, and didn’t need anyone interrupting.
She handled smooth as a dream, and she nearly skimmed the waves like a skipping stone, she moved so fast. With no mainsail, there was an amazing field of vision, and according to what he’d learned about solar cells, it could conceivably run forever; but they ran so silent he could-
The engines stopped suddenly.
James froze, disturbed. He was far enough out that he could barely see land. There was nobody to help him, or arrest him for the theft.
He spent half an hour staring at the engine helplessly, before he discovered that there was indeed a sail. The mast was retractable; another impossible innovation, but he was happy to get her powered by the wind again. Alone, it took him several hours to rig up the mast; when he suddenly discovered he wasn’t alone anymore.
Hallo!” A voice called across the water.
James looked. A smaller Yacht had apparently caught up with him, pulling alongside. There were two familiar faces on board. Karen and Irsu had given chase.
Your ship has a kill-switch. It’s not a security measure. It’s a safety feature, specifically to prevent it from sailing away with nobody at the tiller. This class of ship is solar powered. It could go clear over the horizon without anyone at the wheel; so if someone forgets to switch everything off when they leave...” Karen explained by way of greeting. “Even in this world, accidents happen. Can we come aboard?”
James wasn’t sure how they’d found him, or how they’d switched off his ship, but he knew there was no chance of escaping. His newly discovered sail would never outpace those silent engines; and he lowered a rope ladder for them. He was expecting to see a squad of lawmen with chains, but it was just her and Irsu. Not that James was any match for the huge man. But from the look he sent around the Yacht when he hauled himself aboard, he had other things on his mind. “Where is she?”
James set his jaw, hand setting automatically at his belt, looking for a cutlass that wasn’t there. “I didn’t take her against her will, Big Man.”
You would not have been able to.” Karen said, unconcerned. “But you both vanished without saying a word, so it was a fair bet you went together.”
I dropped her off this morning, back at Madrid.” James told them.
~oo00oo~
Atxi had never traveled in her old life. The last place she would have gone was Madrid. Spain had invaded her land, and apparently conquered it. The Terminal told her that the war was long forgotten, by all but the people who had been there. But here she was, walking the streets of a city she’d never been to; the capitol of a land she had dreaded.
And everyone was nice to her. There was no language barrier, no confusing money; and directions came as fast as she could ask for them.
The Meeting Centre in Madrid was just like the one in New Roma. In fact, it was the only building Atxi had seen that looked identical to any other; so she already knew her way around. The difference between this and her own Temples was jarring. No guards, no fortifications…
And then she heard his voice. That same deep, rolling thunder that rang with authority. Huitzilin was here. She followed his voice to one of the main meeting rooms, and there he was, addressing another congregation. Like the one in New Roma, they were ever-young, dressed smartly, flawlessly healthy, and watching with interest as Huitzilin taught them.
Atxi stayed in the doorway, hiding behind the door. He couldn’t see her. He hadn’t changed a bit. His wardrobe was different, and his ‘larger-than-life’ bearing was the same, as he captivated the room.
The plagues of Egypt were chosen carefully!” Huitzilin was declaring. “Egyptians had hundreds of gods. Gods to make pure the Nile River, which was struck with blood! Gods for the animals, that were cut down all at once! Gods for the insects, who devoured and sickened! Gods for the Sun and the Moon, and all of Egypt was in darkness… except for those that praised Jah!”
Atxi felt sick, listening to him.
Jehovah chose his wonders with his all-knowing skill! He chose attacks that showed the false idols of his enemies to be hollow and helpless. Remember that even now, the blessings we’re receiving are tiny specks of the glory of God. A being who put the stars and galaxies in their position; and we are awed by a bountiful harvest, or the song of the birds, or clothes that don’t wear out.”
They were almost the exact same words he’d used to declare the greatness of Huitzilopochtli. Atxi could take no more, storming out.
What is he even doing here, if Jehovah rules this world? Atxi asked herself sickly. What am I doing here?
(Author’s Note: There has long been speculation as to who would be excluded from the Resurrection Promise. We know, from Hebrews 10:26 that not everyone will return. The 3/15/06 Watchtower states: ‘We must be careful, though, not to speculate on whether a certain person will be resurrected or not. This judgement belongs to God.’
In this story, the goal is to explore the reactions, and some of the obstacles involved in a Global Resurrection. Also, it’s worth noting that Atxi, as well as Huitzilin, predated the rise of Christendom in their own time. Also, Page 73 of the ‘Bible Teach’ Book states ‘He will never resurrect those whom he judges to be wicked and unwilling to change’, but I’ve chosen to give truly ignorant people the benefit of the doubt as a general rule, for purposes of this story.)
~oo00oo~
Karen had stayed with James. Irsu had taken their smaller yacht and headed back towards Madrid.
I’m told you skipped out on the Classes.” Karen said to James without looking at him. “Picking up your trail was fairly easy once I thought to head for water.” She tapped the railing. “And even easier once I found the confused looking man standing in front of the empty spot at the Docks.” She didn’t look angry. “I figured you’d be looking for an exit, but I thought you’d wait until the classes were over, at least.”
You aren’t responsible for me, Miss Karen.” He paused. “I don’t actually know your surname.”
No, you don’t.” Karen admitted. “Because we were never properly introduced. Because you and I didn’t meet at a party. I was assigned to greet you when you were raised from the dead.”
The pointed nature of the comment was not lost on James. His arrival was the one point he couldn’t argue with. He remembered fighting Smitty. He remembered winning. The thought was like a knife in his gut. Smitty was his best friend, and he didn’t even have the Prize anymore. “I left the Classes because I-” He broke off, looking to phrase it right.
Because you didn’t want to hear what they were saying.” Karen said, unsurprised. “Been there.” She glanced around. “You stole this boat, James.”
James considered his answer for a moment. He had a ship now, and Irsu had left them. There was no impending trap to escape. “I’ve stolen lots of things.” He said tightly. “I was a pirate. I stole things, I killed people, I shipwrecked people, and that’s not even counting the swearing, wenching, and drinking that was how we spent our leisure time.”
And then you died.” Karen didn’t even blink at his confession. “And now you’re here, in a place where Pirates don’t exist, and nobody cares what you used to be. And you stole this boat, James.”
James stared at her. “It’s a ship that can go against the wind, and be piloted Solo. You have any idea what that would have been worth to someone like me back in the day?”
I can imagine.” Karen agreed. “But it isn’t yours.”
I am a Pirate.” He reminded her. “What did you expect me to do? Ask nicely?”
Karen was silent a moment. “I wasn’t there.” She said finally. “When A-Day happened, there were many places where being a Believer was against the Law. I wasn’t there when the order came for all the faithful believers to find each other and wait it out. But I met a guy once who was in prison at the time, unable to make it to the Meeting places. So the brothers in Prison all found each other, and waited it out in the same cell. Just believing what we believe was illegal once. Back then, the brothers did some good work in jails. Half the Bible was written from a prison cell. Nobody cares what your career was then. We care about the now. And you fell back into crime right away.”
What else do I have to fall into?” James charged her. “The Ocean and violence are all I’m good at. I need a ship for one, and an enemy for the other. I found the first. I’m not looking for the second. Not today.”
Mm. Well, as it happens, there’s a relatively easy solution.” Karen told him. “I bought it for you.”
He blinked. “What?”
Once they figured out it was stolen, they checked for newcomers; since the locals aren’t thieves. Once they figured out who likely took it, the builders went looking for a way to walk this back. I was your Welcome Wagon, so they consulted me. Your kin aren’t back yet. So I found Brother Claudius Caine; who owned, and personally built this ship. He makes a living at it, you see. He gave me the Transponder on your GPS, and in return, I agreed to buy this ship for you.”
No lawmen here. But it took her no time at all. “You can toss that kind of scratch down so easily.” James scoffed. “You never told me you were rich.”
I’m not. No more than most people are.” Karen shook her head. “But I can pay, with time. Everyone has some income now. Enough to cover the cost of living comfortably. A few coins per month, over a few centuries…”
And your man Caine is alright with that?”
He knows he’ll get his money eventually. He can afford to wait, just as I can. We worked out a very reasonable payment plan; with a fair amount of interest, given that it’s basically a gift for the first few decades until it’s paid up. Do your part, and keep this thing in reasonable condition, would you?”
James just shook his head. “And all this is easier than just trying to get his ship back to him?”
Your ship.” She corrected him.
What?”
I bought it for you. I have the paperwork to prove it, if you want to see it.” She reached into her vest and pulled out the page. Sure enough, it named him as the owner/operator of the ship. “All she needs is a name.”
WHY?!” James was floored. “Why not just…”
Call in the law? James, we have no prisons here. No criminals either, come to that. You did it because you’re new, and-”
No, I mean… Why is everyone so alright with just letting me go? Why go so far out of your way? Why spend your money on someone you barely know? In support of something you don’t agree with?”
Because everything you took, Brother Caine can replace with time. And the money I spend? It’s not like I need it urgently elsewhere. What we’re hoping to save is far more than our money. It means your life, more than our coin.”
Which still doesn’t explain why?” James insisted. “Surely, there was an option other than…” He broke off. “I don’t like owing people, Miss Karen.”
You can learn a lot about someone by what they reach for first when they come back from the dead.” Karen smiled. “The Believers immediately want more information about the God that returned them to life. The majority look up their family first. You? Your first move was to steal a boat and get out on the water.” She gave him a canny look. “Do you even have a destination?” She shrugged. “I figure having a ship is the first step you’d make towards anything of importance.”
None of which obligates you to buy me one.” He pointed out. “Will this thing even hold together for that long? You could be paying this ship off for decades after it’s stripped for parts.”
Check the agreement again.” She told him bitingly. “The ship is yours until you die, then it goes to me. I can sell it on, or trade it back.”
I thought everyone lived forever now.”
Everyone has the chance to live forever now.” She corrected him. “But there’s only one Source of Life in the Universe. If you accept what He’s offering, you’ll live forever too. Not only that, you’ll be an honest man. Honest enough to repay me, I’m guessing. If not, then I can get the boat back. After.”
He looked at her, askance. “That was almost practical enough to be the sort of thing I would do.”
Karen grinned like a shark. “Well, if it helps you feel more at home, Old Man.”
James scoffed. “Must be so easy for you. Say a few words over us, and if we happen not to agree, we die; and you can blame us for it.”
Karen swatted him. “You bite your tongue. You have no idea how hard it is.”
Yes, I do. I lost people.”
You lost people in a world where nobody could be saved. We lose people now, in a world where everyone can be with us for all eternity, it’s just a touch different.” She bit out. “And I thank God every single day that I didn’t lose anyone close. But not everyone is so lucky.”
James said nothing to that, but his eyes made it clear he wasn’t there yet.
Karen spelled it out for him. “What’s more valuable? A life you can’t keep, or a life you can’t lose? And the answer is: Neither. They’re both irreplaceable. But to lose it is a tragedy, since there will never be another one of any of us. Imagine losing something priceless, when you could have had it forever.”
I don’t imagine I’d want to keep anyone forever.” James countered. “I wasn’t exactly surrounded by dearly beloved.”
Galatians 5:22 says The fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, mildness, self-control. Against such things there is no law’.” Karen quoted. “The only people left are the ones with that spirit. I could do worse for people to spend eternity with.”
"You don't really believe that, do you?"
"Have I said or done anything to make you think I don't?"
"It's impossible." The old pirate said simply. "It's an impossible standard to meet. It's unnatural, it's unfair, and it's not possible to get there."
"Millions have. Thousands of millions will, by the time we get there."
"It's impossible. I get that it's the party line, but it's not really doable. So I'll make it easier for you. I know you're responsible for me, and you've done right enough, so I won't embarrass you. Well, beyond stealing the-"
"You know what I did, back in the day?" She interrupted. “Before this world? I was a supermodel."
"I don't know what that is."
Karen had already tapped at her device, and brought up a picture. Pictures instead of paintings were new to James, but he’d figured it out fairly quickly. This picture was of Karen, wearing lacy underwear, and nothing else. It was the first risque thing he’d seen since waking up on the beach, but it didn’t appeal to him the way any of the whores did back in the Pirate Coves.
Karen let him look, unashamed. James couldn’t help the way his eyes flicked back and forth between her, and the picture. She looked… ill. Her skin was pale, eyes darker and smokier. She looked malnourished, even unwell. Even in that state, she was pouting provocatively towards the camera, luxuriating on silks; as her bones stretched her skin.
Karen waited, letting him look. After a while, she tapped the image, flicking to another shot. She was dressed in this one; in some rich purple fabric that still managed to be borderline obscene, though the dress was heavier and dragged along behind her. “Curves and weight was the style in your time. In my generation, thin was ‘in’.”
"Thin? I can see your skeleton." He said finally.
"Yup. I was so weak from hunger for that shoot that when they dressed me in that outfit, I couldn't stand up straight enough, so they lay me flat and held the camera over me like I was standing. I was a human clothes-hanger. Half the girls in the business were getting surgery, using drugs to stay thin... The agency that got me work had doctors on call to keep us vertical without feeding us. I wanted out. So I found a man who liked having a model for a girlfriend, and left that industry behind. I was glad for it. I was able to live like a human being, and eat actual people food instead of birdseed. Then I hit thirty six, and suddenly my looks weren't enough. So I had to... I mean, if I wasn't the youngest and prettiest, then-"
"You had to be the nastiest." The pirate smirked lecherously. "You should see some of the older ladies in the bars of Tortuga, luv. I know how it is."
"Right. I drank, snorted, and smoked whatever it took to stay at all the worst parties. This world is hard to shock, but I when I woke up, I didn't have to dance for it anymore. I told them that I wasn't exactly living a holy, sanctified life. I figured resetting the clock might have been enough. Money wasn't an issue, and I figured the way to handle living ‘chaste’ was to find a guy who wouldn't mind if we discreetly bent the rules. Wouldn't be the first such relationship I was in." She gestured. "Since you got here, have you seen anyone who isn't gorgeous?"
"Not since I woke up."
"Right. I made my living being a fantasy made flesh. I was out of my league here, and it scared me to death. I knew I couldn't make it either."
"Nobody could."
"No, see... That was the hardest part to figure out. " She told him quietly. "Back when I was a model, I knew a few of the girls who figured out their ‘retirement’ by looking for a meal ticket. They would agree to provide company now and then. Businessmen old enough to be my grandfather, politicians with wives and kids; even the odd clergymen offered. Discretion was all they cared about. So I thought the same thing you did. The sleaze had to be there, just better hidden. It took me a long time to realize that these guys actually meant what they were saying."
"Are you telling me..."
"It's not an act. It's real. I've been alive for almost seventy years, because I got there too." She pointed at her face. “How old do I look? I’m almost twice your age, and you’re already getting grey hairs.”
"It's impossible!" He insisted. "Nobody can live up to that!"
"You say 'nobody' but what you mean is: You don't think you can."
James rolled his eyes. "Oh, alright. Give me the speech, about how I can do anything, and-"
"Not at all.” She didn’t even blink. “Lots of people don't make it."
He froze. "What?"
"Yeah. Didn't anyone tell you that part? A lot of people just won't make the leap, and they fade out like they always have at every other point in history. People who die young get to grow old. Even people who died of old age, back before? They get a lifetime enough to decide." She gestured. "Look at you. You already have those little wrinkles around your eyes. My clock has paused. Yours is still ticking."
He stared.
"Millions of people have been brought back, Cap'n. And some of them have grown old and died. Less than you’d think. Most people accept the world for what it is. You? You never accepted the rules of the world around you. And if I'm honest... I don't think you'll make it."
"Really?" He almost laughed.
"Really." She nodded. "I've only been in your company for a short time, but everything I've seen of you tells me you'll die before you accept anyone as your God. I hope I'm wrong, and to be fair, plenty of people said the same about me, and I made it. And more importantly, Jehovah God himself will help you, if only you’d ask. But it's your first week here; and you’ve skipped out on the people offering to show you the world, and stolen valuable property. It’s not looking good for you thus far, Pirate."
James was about to answer, when there was a sudden blast of spray, and Karen let out a delighted shout.
A whale had just breached, arcing into the air, and crashing back down with a big splash.
Karen laughed, thrilled. “I’ve never seen one in person before.”
James watched the whale cavorting about for a while. “I have.” He commented. He and his crew had take in some extra cash harpooning them; but he didn’t mention that as the huge creature came up to the motionless ship gracefully.
Karen, meanwhile, was rushing to the edge of the ship, leaning out to get a better look. At a slower pace, James went to join her. Karen had climbed out to the side of the ship, able to reach down enough to trail her fingers in the water.
It sent up a jet of spray again, rolling sideways to look at them. Karen was close enough to rest a hand against its leathery skin.
At the railing, James had looked into the eyes of these creatures before, but only after they’d been harpooned to death… “It’s not scared of us.” He commented.
He has no reason to fear anything.” Karen said, and he observed her a moment. She was maintaining her balance perfectly, one hand holding the railing, one bare foot against the outer hull of the ship. A precarious pose, especially with such a huge animal an inch away; but she was holding the position flawlessly. He had no doubt that she could have stayed there for hours if she’d had a mind to.
The whale’s low song rang through them enough to make their insides shake, and the Whale lifted out of the water enough to nudge her hand; before he sank into the water, out of sight. Karen giggled a little out of simple happiness, and pulled herself back up again, one handed; rolling backwards over the railing and onto her feet.
She’s never been on a ship before. A sailor has to have fish-hooks for every finger and toe, and this woman can do things that nobody on my crew would even attempt.
And she’d already made the point that she was more like him than he gave her credit for. Or at least, she had started that way.
He was silent a moment. "How did you make it?" He asked finally. “How did you make the change?”
"You lived in the gritty side of your world. Me? I lived in the fantasy. I know exactly how fake the surface can be, because in my world, the ‘surface’ was all there was. I had ten year old girls telling me that they wanted to look like me when they grew up, and they didn't get that I was debating whether or not to have some ribs removed to keep my waist. So when I woke up in Utopia, I knew where to look for the darker truth. I found it. The dark truth is that some people just won't do it."
"It's not-"
"Not your fault. I know. I told myself that more than once too. Everyone knows the facts of living forever, and everyone who accepts them is happy. And they live forever. And everybody knows that some won't do it, and that it’s not up to any of us what others will decide. But the game isn't rigged any more. There's nobody to blame. All the crazy or unwholesome I did? I did it because that was the world, or because I needed the money, or it was just 'the way things are' or even just because it was fun. None of those reasons exist anymore. The truly terrifying secret of eternal life is that it isn't a secret at all."
The Captain said nothing.
"You may figure that out in time, Pirate. You may not. Either way, it's entirely your choice now. You can't put the blame for it on anyone else. Not ever again. This is the one and only choice that nobody can try to influence: What you think when you're alone." She put the piece of paper in his hand. “You have a home now. One that you can take with you wherever you wish to go. Do as you will with it, and go wherever you need to go so you can make your choice.”
~oo00oo~
Atxi wandered away from the study group in a kind of daze. She’d gotten enough fury pounding through her veins to storm all the way here; and the fury had vanished the minute she heard him speak.
Huitzilin had changed sides. After a lifetime of other people’s sacrifice… of other people being sacrificed at his hand, herself included, he’d decided to find a new God.
Is that why he’s here? Did he surrender to the Conquistadors? Did Huitzilopochtli find his offerings to be unworthy? Did Huitzilin stop me from reaching The Sun?
The questions kept boiling in her brain until she felt sick.
You need ice-cream.”
Atxi blinked, coming out of her thoughts suddenly. “What?” She blurted, unsure.
The Man was wearing a neat, white suit; and had a box on wheels in front of him. Atxi had never seen anything like it before; but that was nothing unusual. She didn’t recognize anything at all.
You seem to be dealing with some heavy thoughts.” The man said kindly. He lifted the lid of the large box in front of him, and Atxi could see steam rising from the shock of cold air. She’d never seen anything like that before; and the man reached in with a large spoon, scooping something together for her.
I’m told it’s a common thing.” Atxi admitted to him. “And I just wandered away from all the people in the world that I know, trying to find a familiar face… Only to find out he was the least recognizable thing yet.”
The man didn’t blink. “Yup. Like I said. Heavy thoughts.” He held out a cone. “Here. Enjoy.”
Atxi stared at it. “What is it?”
Never seen ice cream before?” The man seemed oddly eager. “How long have you been back?”
She took the cone. “Only a little while.” She noticed some children in the park with ice cream cones of their own, and followed their example. “I was in a place called ‘New Roma’, and- OhThatIsAmazing.” She forgot Huitzilin completely and devoted her whole self to the treat. “It’s like the fudge, only...”
You’re right. The flavor is called ‘Mint Choc Fudge’.” The man said with a smile. “I love that look. I’ve been making ice cream for people for almost forty years. Been back for three; and picked up my career where I left off.”
Atxi didn’t respond, savoring the treat. He stepped back, let her finish. When every last trace of it was gone, Atxi looked to him. “You came back too?”
Most of the people in the world did at some point.” He nodded, and held out a hand. “I’m Larry.”
She stared at the extended hand, before doing the same. “Atxi.” He clasped her hand briefly, and released her. “How did you react, when you got here?” She asked carefully.
Oh, I knew it was coming. I was a brother long before A-Day.” He gestured at the Ice Cream cone she was chewing through. “God’s people in ancient times were waiting for this world. They would have expected the spiritual food, but none of them could possibly have expected videos on tablets. Or airships. Or Ice Cream. That thought excited me when I first learned about this world, because if something like Ice Cream could take an ancient believer by surprise, what wonderful thing will surprise the modern believers?” Larry smiled at her. “People who knew things like Ice Cream could exist?”
Atxi had to admit, the things she’d seen had been so far beyond her imagination, that she‘d assumed it couldn’t be real.
Is it like that for everyone who comes here?
~oo00oo~
James said nothing as Karen lowered a boat to leave. The Yacht had a few inflatable boats for landing. Karen had taught him how to inflate one, and pack it away; and then took one to get back to shore. He’d offered to turn back and drop her off; but she’d refused; and he didn’t argue the point.
Despite himself, he felt more affinity with her than anyone else. Even in the old world, when he’d understood the rules, people had hidden what they really thought. Finally, he was getting instruction from someone who talked straight.
As the smaller boat sailed back towards land, the thought came to him. There’s a reason she was there to meet you when you… woke up.
He shook that thought off, and looked to the deed on his ship. It was his. Legally. He’d captained two ships in his life. This one, and the Stargazer, which he got by leading a quick mutiny against the most hated Captain he and Smitty ever had.
This one was a gift.
I will pay her back. James decided suddenly. I have a ship now. I can make my way. I pay her back, and then we’re even.
But I don’t have a crew. And Piracy is a dead business, if there are Guardian Angels breathing down my neck every second.
Then again, I suppose if this is a world where you can buy a ship for tuppence and agree to owe the rest, there might be an honest way to make a living.” The thought stayed with him for a few moments, until a familiar grin split his face. “Then again, there’s a far better way.”
He immediately went to the Terminal in the Captain’s Cabin, and called up his maps. The Screen was unlike anything he’d ever used; but this was a world full of people who had never heard the word ‘computer’ before, so the technology that had become so ubiquitous had to be incredibly intuitive. With a little work, he’d brought up an ocean map.
Let’s see… I was here… We called all stop in the fog after ten hours, so The Spanish Fleet caught up to us… here.” He tapped at the screen. “The Stargazer would have sunk there. Full to bursting with treasure; waiting at the bottom of the ocean.”
With a little more trial and error, he had charted a course.
The Ship had been all he needed to finish his mission. He gripped the wheel, which was far less of a central figure on the bridge than the last wheel he’d held to steer the Stargazer…
Thinking of the last time he’d held a ship’s wheel gave him a spike. Smitty, giving him the St Nicholas medallion; before they’d fought to the death...
The Nicholas.” James said quietly to his new ship. “That’s what I’ll call you."

No comments:

Post a Comment